Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hammered Copper Sweater Pin

So, I saw something similar to this recently and I thought, "Hey- I have all that 14 and 16 ga wire.  This is a good use for it!  So I decided to try a pin.  I already knew how to make a pin back, since I'm a metalsmith (without an equipment-filled studio at the moment!), and I wanted something that was completely cold-connection because it can be difficult to solder heavy gauge metal with a micro-torch.  This is two pieces of  16 ga wire.  It's sturdy and it is most definitely a sweater pin.  You don't want to put that pin back in a tee shirt or delicate blouse.  You'll have a hole that won't go away.  But for cardigans, winter scarves, and more loosely or bulky knitted items, this is a fabulous accessory.

I re-learned a few techniques on it, and one of the basic rules of metal working:  get your shape the way you want it BEFORE hammering.  DUH.  Naturally, there will be a few adjustments to make afterwards, but for the most part you want your piece to be in the shape you want it to be before you start hammering it.  Hammering, and working the wire in any fashion will work-harden it.  This is dead soft wire, stripped from an electrical cable.  I have tons of it.  Stripping it is difficult because you can't use wire strippers.  They mar the metal and create weak points.  I strip mine by laying it on a piece of plywood and using an exacto-knife very carefully.  Give it a try - this was quick and easy to make and while I'm going to re-make it, since this was a prototype, I'll wear this one this winter.

Remember, when making your pin back, you must twist that wire until it's straight and it provides tension against the clasp or hook.  I don't have the hook on this yet, but that pin back won't buckle under pressure. Also, when filing the end to a point, remember that sharp objects can draw blood and tear clothing, so don't make it too sharp.  It's for sweaters - it doesn't have to be super sharp.


No comments:

Post a Comment